Our curriculum is built around stimulating the children's natural curiosity in learning.
In Nursery and Reception, the children follow the Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum. This involves a lot of play to encourage the children to talk and communicate which is vital at this early stage of learning.
In English, we use a variety of books to practice, rehearse and develop skills in reading and writing. All our classes have a daily Guided Reading session using high quality texts which support phonic and comprehension skills.
All children in Key Stage 1 receive daily phonics using the Read, Write Inc Scheme.
To support the children's spelling, all classes have a dedicated daily 20 minute slot using the RWI Get Spelling Scheme.
In Maths, children experience lessons which support the 3 aims of the 2014 National Curriculum. They are:
- become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, so that pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language
- can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and nonroutine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.
Teachers follow White Rose Hub materials to ensure a Mastery Curriculum. They use other resources such as the Busy Ants scheme to support the planning process, Convince Me!, Picture Maths and Sometimes, Always, Never.
Our Science curriculum is designed to develop children's knowledge and understanding of not only Scientific fact, but also their ability to work scientifically.
The aims of the Science curriculum are:
- develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics
- develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of science through different types of science enquiries that help them to answer scientific questions about the world around them
- are equipped with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of science, today and for the future.
All classes have a dedicated lesson a week to support this core subject.
All other subjects are planned through the Cornerstones Curriculum. The Interactive Learning Projects mix learning from a variety of subjects through 4 corners - Engage, Develop, Innovate & Express. Currently, all classes cover two ILP projects over the course of the year to allow sufficient depth and coverage of the topics.
If you have any questions concerning our curriculum, please make an appointment to see the class teacher. If you feel you need to discuss in more detail, please contact the Key Stage leader or Mr Perkins.